Organic phycocyanin is a natural pigment that is extracted from cyanobacteria, also known as blue-green algae. It is a protein-binding pigment that gives spirulina and other algae their characteristic blue-green color. Organic phycocyanin is not only a beautiful and safe colorant for food and cosmetics, but also a valuable source of nutrition and health benefits.
Organic phycocyanin is rich in protein, amino acids, minerals, vitamins, and antioxidants. It contains about 60% protein by dry weight, and provides all the essential amino acids that the human body needs. It also contains thiamin, riboflavin, niacin, copper, iron, magnesium, potassium, and manganese. Moreover, it has a high content of phycocyanobilin, a unique chromophore that has potent antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties.
Organic phycocyanin has been shown to have various health benefits in animal and human studies. Some of the benefits include:
- Lowering cholesterol and triglyceride levels. Organic phycocyanin can reduce the levels of total cholesterol, LDL cholesterol, and triglycerides in the blood, while increasing HDL cholesterol. This can help prevent or improve cardiovascular diseases such as atherosclerosis and hypertension.
- Protecting against oxidative stress and inflammation. Organic phycocyanin can scavenge free radicals and inhibit the production of pro-inflammatory molecules such as cytokines and prostaglandins. This can help prevent or reduce oxidative damage and inflammation in various tissues and organs, such as the liver, kidney, brain, skin, and eyes.
- Enhancing immune system function. Organic phycocyanin can modulate the activity of immune cells such as macrophages, natural killer cells, T cells, and B cells. This can help boost the immune response against pathogens and tumors, as well as regulate the immune balance in autoimmune diseases such as rheumatoid arthritis and diabetes.
- Improving metabolic syndrome and diabetes. Organic phycocyanin can improve insulin sensitivity and glucose tolerance, as well as lower blood sugar levels. This can help prevent or treat metabolic syndrome and diabetes mellitus type 2.
- Supporting liver health and detoxification. Organic phycocyanin can protect the liver from various toxins and drugs, such as alcohol, acetaminophen, carbon tetrachloride, and heavy metals. It can also enhance the liver’s ability to metabolize and excrete toxins from the body.
Organic phycocyanin is a versatile ingredient that can be used in various applications. It can be added to food and beverages as a natural colorant and antioxidant, such as candies, ice cream, yogurt, smoothies, juices, cakes, breads, noodles, etc. It can also be used in dietary supplements as a source of protein and antioxidants, such as capsules, tablets, powders, etc. Furthermore, it can be applied to cosmetics products as a natural colorant and antioxidant that can improve skin health and appearance.
Organic phycocyanin is a rare natural nutrient that offers many benefits for human health. It is a safe and effective pigment that can enhance the quality and value of food, cosmetics, and supplements products.